DVB-C, CI+, and (maybe) Kodi: But how?

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• DVB-C, CI+, and (maybe) Kodi: But how?

Hi!

I'm a little stuck with my problem, I hope there are some experts who can help me out. :)
      I would like to watch my paid cable (DVB-C) channels, preferably through Kodi, but if it couldn't work, then simple HDMI would work to.
      I've got a paid card with a CI+ modul, which I can use with my TV, but it's only a half-smart TV. :/ (It's slow, you cannot reoder channels, etc...)

I've got a raspberry Pi 3 with Kodi on it, so a USB-tuner wouldn't hep me out, since they cannot handle CI+, only CI.

After reading a few google hits, I've got a few ideas:
      1.) Buy a DVB-C receiver with a CI+ slot, and use it with the HDMI output through my amplifier.
      2.) Buy a DVB-C receiver with a CI+ slot, and try to watch TV with my existing Kodi on rpi3.
      3.) Buy a DVB-C receiver with a CI+ slot, and put Kodi on it, and watch TV and films on it, and discard my previous kodi device.

And of course 3 > 2 > 1. ;)
      I'm not sure if which ideas are doable, which could be even illegal (FYI, I'm paying for my CI+ module and card, I'm not trying to share it or get it for free), what receivers would fit my need, and what software would I need for that. Otherwise I'm good with computers, but this is a completly new area for me. :)

Thank you for any advice!
    • @fabrice1973
      Vu+ with the VTi Image can handle ALL Ci+ modules...

If you are lucky your smartcard also runs with softcam

Would go for a Uno 4k or Uno 4k SE.
      Kodi runs on it (on the Uno 4k SE not yet with VTi) but I have no experience with it so can't compare to other options like raspberry pi. (and it doesn't works for live tv but Enigma2 is already great for live tv)
      But also without Kodi Vu+ plays most media files.
      Docendo Discimus
      KEIN SUPPORT PER PN!

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von Clemens ()

• Clemens schrieb:

@fabrice1973
      Vu+ with the VTi Image can handle ALL Ci+ modules...

If you are lucky your smartcard also runs with softcam

Would go for a Uno 4k or Uno 4k SE.
      Kodi runs on it (on the Uno 4k SE not yet with VTi) but I have no experience with it so can't compare to other options like raspberry pi. (and it doesn't works for live tv but Enigma2 is already great for live tv)
      But also without Kodi Vu+ plays most media files.
      Thank you very much for the answer! :)
      Mybe a vu+ SoloSEv2 would do the trick, am I right, is that CI+ compatible too? :)
    • It would so the trick as well...the advantage of the Uno 4k (SE) is that you have 8 Tuners, and you can record the channels encrypted and decrypt them in standby.
      The Solo SE V2 only can record decrypted (sand a CI+ Module can only decrypt 1 channel at the same time). But as you have maximal 2 tuners on a Solo SE V2 this problem is less big.
      I also don't know if you have some channels which are not encrypted, there only the number of tuners matters (and of course if some channels lay on the same transponders)
      But it depends on what a user you are...
      Here is a comparison table:
      Vu+ STB Vergleichstabelle – Vu+ WIKI
      It's in german but most should be understandable.
      Docendo Discimus
      KEIN SUPPORT PER PN!

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Clemens ()

• Clemens schrieb:

It would so the trick as well...the advantage of the Uno 4k (SE) is that you have 8 Tuners, and you can record the channels encrypted and decrypt them in standby.
      The Solo SE V2 only can record decrypted (sand a CI+ Module can only decrypt 1 channel at the same time). But as you have maximal 2 tuners on a Solo SE V2 this problem is less big.
      I also don't know if you have some channels which are not encrypted, there only the number of tuners matters (and of course if some channels lay on the same transponders)
      But it depends on what a user you are...
      Here is a comparison table:
      Vu+ STB Vergleichstabelle – Vu+ WIKI
      It's in german but most should be understandable.
      I have a CI+ modul and a card from UPC Hungary. As I heard (never tried) I can way about 26 channels without the card and a 30-ish more with the decrypter card.
      The CI+ module has written smarCAM-3 UPC Hungary written on it.
      The card itslef has Nagravision written on it, and the TV says about it: DNASP110 RevA07

Is this helpful any way? :)

Btw, one tuner vs more is just maximize that how much channel can I watch (or record) at a time, isn't it?
      So, with Solo SE v2 I can watch any of the 5x channel, but only one at a time.
      And if I buy a multi-tuner STB I can watch (or record) more at a time? And in this case is only one CI+ modul/card is enoguh.

Anyhow, whats the real difference between the card and the CI+ module? The STB has both slots, so what't with it, what the difference between features? And what does is mean if the card is paired with the CI+ modul?

(I have more and more question, sorry about that. :) )
    • It is preferable to use just the card. On the receiver a softcam needs to be installed and this can decrypt channels with the hardware of the receiver. The receiver can decrypt multiple channels at the same time. You even can share the card locally in your network to use two receivers with just 1 card. (On a decytpted channel there are bytes called ECMs. This is the input for the card. From this an output is generated (called DCWs) and this is used to decrypt the channel (the way to decrypt is a standard, but the way to obtain the DCWs from the ECMs is something which is only known by the manufacturers of the smartcards). When sharing a card over the network ECM and DCW information is transferred)

But how to use a certain card is no standard. So if the card has some special protocol which you can't find out, then you can't use it. This happens also with paired cards where they sometimes even are paired to specific hardware which contain some magic keys which te cards need and otherwise it doesn't work.

The module of the provider know how to use the card and will always work, at least if the receiver can CI+ (and has the right certificate, also there some security things are in place). The stream is now decrypted by the module: the stream + ECM data goes into the Module, the modules spit out the decrypted stream. Most CI+ Modules only can decrypt 1 channel at the same time. On te 4k Receivers of Vu+ it is possible to record the channels with ECM data, and send it to the Module afterwards where it is decrypted. In that way you can record multiple channels at the same time.

The number of Tuners says how many frequencies you can open at the same time. For the Solo SE V2 this are 1 or 2 (single / Dual TUuner), for the Uno 4k SE this are 8 (this has a special FBC Tuner). On a certain frequencies there are normally 3 to 5 HD channels.

I hope this makes everything a bit clearer....
      I don't know if you card is usable with a softcam (e.g. gbox or oscam) so without the module. Maybe you can google a bit and find it out if other users have managed to get your card type working (there are many nagra cards, some work with softcam, some doesn't). If it is paired it probably won't work.
      Docendo Discimus
      KEIN SUPPORT PER PN!
    • 1 would work
      2 if you mean stream over the network from the Vu+ Receiver with Kodi on a Raspberry pi -> this would work as well
      3 Difficult to say for me as I have never had a Vu+ with Kodi support and on my new Uno 4k SE it doesn't work yet with the current VTi, also it's an older version which you can't update and so I wouldn't really recommend this.
      Docendo Discimus
      KEIN SUPPORT PER PN!
    • DVB-C, CI+, and (maybe) Kodi: But how?

You cannot install a particular version of Kodi on VU+. It comes as a plugin, the current version on my Uno 4K is 17.0, and yet no update on it in the last year.
      Kodi implementation on VU is crap, not even close with the real Kodi experience. The Kodi player is replaced with E2 player, it might play some formats, but many not, no automatic subtitles, no recording from Kodi plugins, some videos have no sound and so on.
      Most of the Kodi addons are not working, even basic ones like You Tube. This morning I tried about twenty video addons, only three worked.
      Just to know...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk